Friday, June 21, 2024

Going on a walk today, uke book, new chair…

I’m dieting more now. No more daily roti canai and lattes. Woke up with a slightly sore head but having an orgasm soon fixed that. Sorry to ruffle feathers but sex is healing and pushes away evil things, not the other way around unless it is adulterous.

Am busily writing my ukulele learning booklet instead of guitar. It’s easier due to the 2-less strings and shorter neck. Feel like taking a break from working out. Instead, I will head over to Amcorp for a walk around, maybe 11-ish seeing as how I’m not constipated.

Only have 300RM in my wallet, but 100RM in my debit account and 40RM in my Touch n’ Go so I’m still okay. Next week I will have 300RM to dispose. My new office chair is a little stiff to lean back in. A bit disappointed but it was cheap. Maybe it will loosen up given time. [and it HAS loosened up, yay!]


Bought this $15 Casio on my long walk out. I had been lamenting the haphazard and wanton state of my watch collection since I experienced the Buddhist monk satchel’s pure and holistic design. I wanted badly to start all over again, monk-like, Pope Francis-like. So now this humble thing, above, is my only EDC. Wonder what to do with my old ‘collection’?

In unlikely event I get a dress watch, this being my beater / casual wear, I need to be savvier this time. I may go for a Swatch, something like:

image @swatch.malaysia

For around $160 this is not cheap but cheaper than a Seiko solar tank 880. It’s also 38mm, a good size for a steel watch, and has a comfy fabric strap in woven white-gray. No seconds hand or markers. Just what a dress watch is for, chic and minimalist, quality but honest about my social status.

I’ve learned a lot about watches through mistakes:
  1. Big watches and small watches, plastic and steel watches, round and tank watches, digi, analog, anadigi, It is a minefield of combinations you’ll never wear. Always be sure to view and try on ALL combinations that interest you before buying anything. Don’t surprise yourself.
  2. Cheap or expensive? Always go for one or the other after viewing both. We’ve all seen in-betweeners we can easily afford, saving a couple months, but they’re pieces you won’t treasure because they were compromises. Cheap but quality may be your thing, or luxury but of a lower range / marque. Don’t be afraid to own something like a Swatch or a used Tank Must (solar), a Casio or a used Star Royal hand-wind.
  3. Functions -how many do you need? The answer is just time and date. Do not buy anything unrelated to time and date. Moonphase, ok, chrono, ok, alarm, yes -never a depth sensor, or a compass. Carry these separately or get a smart watch for them and never look back.
  4. Straps or bracelet? Gold or diamonds? Where do horology and jewelry meet in synergy? Should you own a Jacob & co, a Bvlgari, a rainbow Rolex? Or is a white gold Moser better? A GS with Japanese lacquer dial? If you want jewelry, buy jewelry. If you can’t afford any jewelry, then buy a rareish coin or a four leaf clover. Jewelry and gimmick are so often entwined and will cost you dearly, labeling you spendthrift. I don’t wear jewelry myself but if I did, it would be religious, maybe a semi precious stone.
More later…

I’ve sorted through my collection and identified watches I will give away, keep, and sell. Along the way, I picked out my Q&Q moon-phase quartz as a dress watch candidate, particularly on grainy gray suede.


I think the suede lends gravity / weight to the chromed case that croc, bracelet can’t do. Yea, at $13, this qualifies as the cheap option. The moon at 6 o’clock, adds sophistication but I think a good apply of glass polish will be critical for that clarity. Down to two, all over again, older and wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment