Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Monk bag for Mom, musings on my watch collection…

 

My watches minus the pre-loved Tenor-Dorly on my wrist. Left to Right: Q&Q moonphase on real croc, Casio tank on faux lizard, 2200 carbon core G on stretchy nylon, 800h on Daiso tricolor, Prospex 077j on Bond, PRS516 on vintage Bond Zulu, Tristar on retro leather, Baltany D12 on thick nylon, JP1060 on black Velcro, Protrek on Daiso NATO, Swatch AM51 auto, GBD200 step counter, Mudman solar blackout.

Having many mediocre showy watches is depressing sometimes. I wonder what watch a monk would wear? Pope Francis wore a Swatch, then a cheap basic analog Casio. Now Mom’s monk bag has arrived. And it is not the least bit wasteful or bourgeoise, but a class act in practicality and frugality. A lesson to me and my spending habits. It’s strange how a bit of testimony, leadership, and paying attention, can reorient you to right ways again. Some pics later…

The monk satchel has a wide strap, a little wider than most backpacks, but not padded. The main zipper is crescent shaped, following from the rounded off bottom section which I feel lends a touch of class, compared to those cheap square cornered reusable shopping bags. There are 2 handy small zip pockets on the forward facing face, and a large zipped document compartment on the outer flank. There is a strange velcro fastened slot, rear of the satchel which might hold a mini umbrella or water bottle. Inside, a small velcro-sealed pouch and expandable storage space for going shopping or on an overnight stay. The cloth weave is light and strong -should wash and dry easily.

As I ready to head out this morning, I’m at a loss what to strap on my wrist. If only there were something in watches just like the practical monk satchel…

No comments:

Post a Comment