Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Fiction: The Browser

In my college days, I was a student looking for a reason to drop out more than to struggle to graduate. Reading for my degree meant reading Hugo-nominated Sci-Fi novels I bought at the University Bookshop, 15 minutes’ walk from my flat.

Back in my room, a used 16-bit Acorn sat on my desk. I had been poking about its software, trying to harness its vectors. Tutorials and assignments lay strewn by the sides of the walls. Things I wasn’t much interested in.

One day, over lunch on campus, a friend said to me,

Have you heard of the Web?

No, is it new?

It came from a defense research project, used to be called DarpaNet.

Cool. What’s so special about this “web”?

Come and see. Tonight we’ll be downloading something: a full web browser -the first one.

I leaned against the wall of the dorm room as 20 guys and their girlfriends stared at the glowing monitor -as the bytes trickled in and an antique-green spoked wheel appeared. There was a name below the graphic, Netsc- the rest was obscured by the crowd.

Are you Asian? came a sharp and husky voice from below

Yes, but I’m more from Australia.

She smiled, and led me to her room upstairs.


Her breasts were full. They pressed and rolled against my chest as we made love sitting on her bed. Her hair spinning through my fingers like the strings of a harp, down her back, down its curved wood frame.

Have you thought of what you’ll do when you drop out?

No, to be honest. I’m a mess.

Unfazed, she pressed down on me hard and I orgasmed.

Afterwards, as everyone lay sleeping, I went down to the 386DX humming away. There was, still running, the web browser, “Netsc-“. Someone’s page on marijuana open. But a stubby arrow labelled “back” took me through “The Terrorist’s Handbook” to a search screen, and I hesitated over the flat single-line text input box, fingers poised over the keys. I typed “writing advice” and clicked ‘go’. It was 2am.

I never went home to Malaysia. I used my college money to spend summer with the short, husky-voiced blond. Then we went backpacking across America where we both found blue collar jobs. Around the time I realized we weren’t able to hold onto one another, I submitted my first manuscript to Partridge. She stood there with her suitcase packed as I read out the editor’s enthusiastic acceptance letter. Then she left.

The newfangled Pentium75 on my desk purred as I scanned through dozens of web pages. I was able to open 3 browser windows before the memory ran low and the disk groaned under its load.

What’s the best way to be a writer? I was asked at the book signing.

The Internet’s a wonderful resource, I replied as I signed my latest book, “Netsc: My Writing Advice”

But to myself I chuckled softly. More like blondes, marijuana and juvenile delinquent street smarts. That night, all those years ago, my search had turned up nothing but nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment