Wednesday, July 10, 2024

My running shoes…

KD 500 II -220RM


MT Cushion 2 Trail -450RM


This is a review of my 2 Decathlon running shoes. They are not exactly apples to oranges. The first one is a road runner and the second, a trail runner. I did shots of the soles because they’re so vastly different and rhe sides because the foam used is very different as well. If you preferred the road runner you’re like me. But let’s get into the details.

The first shoe has a Pebax styrene-like foam midsole. It feels indentable to a fingernail and a bit stiff and sheeny. Just like polystyrene. It can be compacted-expanded a bit, thus has excellent energy return. The harder you run, the more step energy is returned, the faster you can run. There is a layer of EVA foam under it which is some of the toughest foam out there (I have tried to destroy EVA and it is very very hard) and beneath it, a thin appliqué of tacky rubber outsole. There are holes in the outsole in lower pressure areas that may flex more. I guess these prevent tearing, ungluing. Compared to my old Zoom Vomero, these Decathlon runners are IMHO more well and purpose-built if more delicate due to their Pebax foam soles.

The second shoe has a softer foam cushion which doesn’t have as much energy return. It has a breathable “Matryx” fabric upper and  much more padding around the foot, as they term a cocoon. As such, it has a snug fit and contoured support. The outsole is interesting in that it is knobbly but the knobs are spaced far apart which prevents gravel lodging between them. Grips well. I could feel it biting into the terrain. It has no EVA foam layer yet is stable on uneven patches.

The reason to own both a trail and road shoe is that one is pure performance for my exercise routine while the other is for general purpose wear, such as walking round parks or longer distance treks round the city. I also prefer the look of the trail shoe which is twice the cost of the running shoe but significantly cheaper than the Hoka Speed Goat which I admire, 600RM+. Choice of socks matters more with the trail shoe than the running shoe, somehow. I use Quechua padded socks which work well [thinner socks like Nike dri-fits may afford more toe box room].

No comments:

Post a Comment