I had $15 left in my debit account so I bought it without thinking much. It's quite a charming instrument to behold, made out of creamy smooth plastic, curvy in some places, with lip guards over the blow hole. It has actually got 8 holes arranged non-linear down the body, tho you only really need to operate 7 holes (ignoring the underside one, permanently closed).
It comes as a 2 piece fit which makes it portable for busking. But personally, I think its 34cm length is okay as it is. The tuning is quite interesting and allows me to play quite a number of popular songs more easily than on bamboo flute -without having to trial and error arrange them.
Fife, where have you been all my life?
To make the flute sing, you have to well... force air at medium velocity across the hole in a focused fashion, meaning making a pin-hole with your lips, targeting the outside edge of the blow hole. It's quite easy, I learnt this from AI(!). What I do is align my lips with the lip guards and lower them vertically, then blow. Sharper blows produce a higher octave easily.
Trust me, it's doable and quite fun. If you're thinking of other types of flute, consider this one as well -it's well worth $15.
No comments:
Post a Comment