Sunday, June 16, 2024

There’s something special about the Tissot PRS516…

Some years back, 2-3, Mom promised me a birthday Tissot. We went to an AD at Mutiara and she let me choose any watch under $700. I looked at several pieces including the enormous Sea Star and settled on an understated PRS, just over 40mm wide. I liked the size and simplicity of the case, the flanks being plain vertical and brushed, brushed lugs, big signed push-pull crown and cool press-fit display back offering 100m WR, a ceramic bezel / sapphire crystal to round of the toughness.

The dial is charcoal, synergies with polished floating faceted baton markers, squared syringe hands, and shiny day-date aperture border. The prominent red seconds hand just begged for my red accented Zulu which I had modded down to 1 keeper ring. There is subtle tooling on the stripes adorning the dial center.

A lot has been said about Tissot’s Powermatic 80. It’s so convenient to lay your watch down unattended over the weekend and have it ready to go on Monday. I like the fact you can swap movements for a lower price than a service, maybe trade them in for parts or modding. I have been seeing gains of +5 to +10 /day depending on orientation, activity level. Not bad for non COSC.

the case front is virtually scratch proof which was to me a big plus. I also liked the bold unguarded crown that clicks shut with a precision 2 slightly muted clicks, allowing me to conveniently wind it up every day. More later…

Overall build quality is exquisite, noticeably more-so than Seiko’s Prospex 6R15 which I also own, and cost significantly more. I believe what savings Tissot made from the not-bad, economical Powermatic inside, went into perfecting the case and dial which are beautiful and as they say in Malay, cukup mantap. I will be wearing and appreciating this watch for some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment