Thursday, July 18, 2024

I’m wearing the Casio GA-2200 more often…


The 2200 is a carbon reinforced resin watch from Casio’s G-Shock line of toughened quartz beaters. There are several things about the 2200 in marbled gray which are pros and cons. Big con is the strap which is too tough and bulky. I replaced mine with a stretchy nylon NATO in gray and white. Together with the lightness of the carbon case, this wears very comfortably. The strap’s metal also goes well with the bezel screws. The second pro and con are the nice analog hands but very poor digital readout. I would have preferred day-date instead of the seconds readout. I like the colorway and plasticky appearance a lot as it humbles the watch into a tool which is okay to wear. Also none of the design is phallic / suggestive, unlike say the Rangeman or Frogman. The former has a protruding light button while the latter looks pregnant.

The 2200 on the other hand could be a motor-cross bike meter or a piece of hi-tech police force gear. Not many notice / comment on it. And I am glad I paid AD price for it and got a Marco warranty (official distributor in Malaysia). The downside to this watch is the lack of solar charging, making the battery life range from a just few years to 5, maybe 6 at the most as there is no seconds hand to drive. A cool thing to watch for is the delayed tick of the minute hand, every 20s.

Would have liked more lumed parts. The markers are not very easy to pick out and neither is the digital display. The silver lining is that it looks stealthy thus more sophisticated. And I wear it because it makes me happy as a package, not a mugging target nor a babe magnet.

I will be wearing this watch more often as a beater and with casual attire. But I think it looks a bit brash for the family get together at the higher-end restaurant they want to go to. I would probably wear something 35-38mm in SS. More on my choice later…



Will be wearing my 35mm Orient Tristar on vintage WR leather as I will be walking to the meeting place from the train stop in the tropical sun. I got this off Shopee at a low price of $75 vs. $105 for the G-Shock. It is fully mechanical, automatic actually, and doing +3s/day. The Tristar range was meant for poorer people with an office job, around Asia. Many old timers -who eat at hawker tuck shops, still have theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment