Friday, July 19, 2024

Late night up…

Procrastination and prevention take hold of my writing. Soon it’ll be time for bed. And I will have achieved nothing major with Thursday. All I did was end Act 1 on a suspenseful mysterious note, and begin a little of Act 2 of my not-so-short story. Feeling crowded, physically and mentally. Have to tip everyone off for a bit as the inmates me and Patrick keep happy were getting freaked.

Still thinking how a mechanical watch can be simplified into just a few functional parts. Or a quartz watch become a cheap “perpetual”. Something to consider while this downtime drags on. More later…
 
I successfully invented the "springFoil"  movement which I drafted and posted on Medium. It may earn me some money in August. As well as some accolades or maybe just the latter. I don't plan on charging for the design, just to be known as its inventor. The ex-GF is thinking of marrying me if it takes off.

Dad bought us lunch on the way home from his hospital appointment in Kuala Lumpur. He loves beef noodle soup. Wearing my Orient Tristar on WR leather. Will do some writing after our meal.

There is more downtime, I guess because people are excited and ‘counting’ their eggs in their baskets. Would have liked to write more but it’s a little too heavy for me to lift right now. Have an annoying ulcer or inflamation by my back molar. Yesterday, one up my nostril. And my eye is being flinched by my own Sister’s girls.

Guess I’ll tackle the ‘perpetual quartz’ idea now. Will post the sketch here later…

The design is simpler than Seiko’s SpringDrive. It is powered by vibration that flywheels 2 free sprung capacitors in a tuned electro magnetic field. Thinking the hands could be powered by the vibrations, directly, not needing a spring for themselves. There may be a circuit that calculates quartz vibe to mech vibe and clutches the crystal oscillator circuit accordingly. Perhaps, also a vibe isolator assembly and voltage smoothing circuit. No sweep seconds hand as the clutch may stop the crystal occasionally if the mech vibes are too strong. Instead a red/black pulser window or ‘…’ wait symbol will show.
 
Wearing my Prospex 077j. Really like this watch. Its case shape and finish are outstanding while remaining toolish. Should wear something lower key out tomorrow, tho, which is a holiday -installation of Malaysia's 17th Agong (by a 5-year-rotation kingship). Dad wore his G-Shock 5600 Tough Solar to the hospital today. He likes it a lot.

I was thinking of a $500, 3 watch collection and came up with this from ts_timepieces, gtime, and gsupply, all @Shopee Malaysia.

Caiso “Duro” diver, 20bar WR for 315RM

Timex Q dress watch for 752RM


G-Shock GA-2000 translucent smoke for 419RM

All in, about $316. Whether you want one great big expensive (GBE) $500 watch or to have some fun with my budget quartz selection and pocket the $180 bucks, it’s up to you. If you get the GBE, this would be my pick, from Malaysia Watches @Shopee:

Seiko “Alpinist” automatic, 2.6kRM

If none appeal to you, and you’re after pure value for money, I would recommend an Orient you can take to the pool, vacation, dinner, or the office, with just a strap change -from Orient.os @Shopee:

Orient Tristar 5bar WR automatic, 579RM

This selection is what we have in Malaysia and is just a guide. Prices and designs available may vary in your part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment