There will be nothing very bad said and nothing good undeserved. I am now done with chapter 1 of part 1 of this immense book. SJ insisted I expedite my review as forces were gathering -yea for real, not in a novel of hers, which indeed opens with such a threat. No spoilers.
This is a pretty good book so far, as we meet something like elves, only more powerful, dimension gates, and other god-like species coming from other parts of a teeming galaxy. There are all the elements for a rip roaring fantasy fest. And the first chapter fed it all in. It felt like I was being talked to at a level above my intelligence, my perception, and experience with the previous books I had not read. And yet was able to grasp the not so subtle clues to read this book without feeling left out.
The heroine, no names, seems to be wearing modern clothing which adds to the intrigue of SJ’s universe. I liked the fact that everyone has a power and a dark past.
My criticisms are in the style of dispensing all this. SJ, why not just pour it out on us, instead of giving us cut scenes from sliding POVs that mix the details with emotion? But it had been noted many times, it was her style of working up for the payoff. I don’t hate it, everyone writes different. I guess that’s all the criticism I have.
This book looks to be steady thru, no nasty surprises await. I can recommend it. Break to cook pasta for dinner. Further reviewing to come here…
The 2nd chapter is highly engaging. Written in a strident(?) / confident style. The info drops are clean and timed perfectly tho none yet make full sense. I kept reading. This contrasts with the flood of confusion in the prologue, and the disorientating chapter 1. IMHO, SJ is toying with us -her readers. And this, within the first 50 pages a reviewer is honor bound to read.
No regrets buying HoFaS. Perhaps the author could further diversify as she seems talented enough. I would like to read her short stories, maybe a non-fantasy literary fiction novella. More tomorrow…
It’s 1:30am, chapter 2 ends with lots of info dropping but unlike the prologue and chapter 1, it reads easier, and mysteriously, unmentioned names are mentioned, handfuls of them. I like the way each name is different and their purpose / function, different. There is a bit of interest woven in, in the form of special powers, and the veiled snatches of their origins. Very interesting stuff. Engaging level 4/5. Tomorrow, another 3 chapters.
No comments:
Post a Comment