Friday, May 17, 2024

My EDC daily driver…

I guess my daily driver timepiece will be the one I like most after all. It will also do as a beater, being tough, and quartz. A practical choice of watch, with perpetual digital day-date, 200m WR, 12s/year accuracy. It’s my Promaster JP1060. The crown threading is super smooth, case made from bead blasted steel with a built-tough timing bezel. If correct, the crystal is slightly concave. I love the stubby skeleton hands in orange-red and the organic-shaped hour markers, lumed. The whole watch reminds me of a sea urchin, and a manta ray.

It went through several strap changes before settling on a Casio velcro in black. It’s easy to adjust in and out of air conditioning, and on muggy versus hot and dry days. I don’t feel it makes others jealous, looking like a Casio Riseman crossed with Outgear, from the 2000s. Could be mistaken for a Timex as well. More later…

Spent the day tweaking Qemu to boot, then installing some of my critical software. Prefer SheepShaver which loads faster. I think the BeOS guys were leaner coders than Unix programmers in general. Still need a way to transfer files to and from the emulator. Essentially, enjoying my last weeks / months on Earth before the sixth seal breaks. It can’t be long now. The anti-Israel sentiment is higher than ever, compounded by pervasive social media. It won’t be long till PMX is forced into a 3 way political-economic battle.

Typing this from my bedroom in our new house where we ate takeout fried noodles. Feel odd, stretched between two home bases while war rages in my mindspace. More later…

We didn’t fall ill from the dented bottle of oolong tea that we had last night. I’m always a bit paranoid as the blame game on me is pretty steep. Have a good way of transferring files out of Qemu, using hfsplus, a CLI utility. Writing files in is harder, using hfsexplorer to make a dmg. But that won’t happen much. Feel like taking this old PC to the new house instead of laptops and Pi 4s. Gotta have an iPad tho.

I joined a writers’ forum yesterday. Yet to post. Have to check my website hits now. Wish more people would read my books and short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment