Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Review: Boya BY-V20 dual wireless mic



I was vegetating at home feeling hopeless, when I realized it was high time I got something done so I strapped on my trail running shoes and my waist pouch and headed for Digital Mall, 2 train stops away. I had always wanted a Boya mic set and at 180RM, the price was right. The box contained 2 wireless mics with pop filters, which I think mix down into mono or something similar, via a USB C dongle which I plugged into my iPad 10.

After some charging, they lost their red light. I detached them and long pressed to turn them on whereupon the light turns blue. Green light for noise cancelling mode which we don’t want for recording music.

The mics are small but of much higher quality than a lanyard mic or TWS mic, even the ones on my Sony wfc500. I made very good recordings of my ukulele, vocals, and bamboo flute. The sound sounded transparent and up-front. At least thru Garageband.

Was most impressed with the DiZi flute recording which was lively, hollowey and shrill. My breath noise was less apparent as I clipped each mic to opposite ends of my shirt, around where I held the flute. Even my AKG Ara which cost double the price couldn’t make such a clear and robust capture. Granted, Garageband will auto add some reverb which helps, and helps make the recording less true to life. Still, glad to have the fullest, neatest flute sound I ever got.

One thing to beware of are fakes. Boya makes good sounding gear and there are too good to be true copies which sound awful. I got burned once thinking I would save 30RM thru an online deal. Buy original or buy crap. It’s worth the difference in quality of recording. More later…


No comments:

Post a Comment