Saturday, October 5, 2024

QCY T20 tws earbuds review…

Recently, I bought a ZUZG true wireless (tws) AirPods clone. Although I was impressed with the look and feel, it was a poorish reproduction of the desirable Apple buds of which I once owned the wired version (EarPods). Seeing as how AirPods 4 wasn’t available in Malaysia -yet, and I had been saving to buy another Apple product for that feel goodness, I got the T20 from QCY instead. It was 30RM off on Shopee which after tax, was just ~$25. That is a savings of nearly half a k Ringgits.

But what you get for $25 isn’t perfect. It’s pretty good, a little amazing, and a tiny bit wonderful but it has flaws. The sound isn’t very strong in voicing music, but it is good at picking out details. I find these buds rather more unmusical but good for games and watching flicks. They made me sit thru several Dolby-like YouTube adverts, feeling thoroughly entertained.

The fit for my medium ears is good. No discomfort other than the irritating flatish sound on some tracks. For some reason, they flinched a little near the start of longer AAC files ripped from my AT turntable. The case is also bulbous and feels Mentos-like compared to the Chiclet AirPods. I could live with that because the lid action is satisfying, so is pulling the “taugeh” / bean sprout-shaped buds out of the contoured white plastic recess. That elastic-magnetic snap and force tugs are so ASMR.

Compared to the ZUZG ‘pods the mic quality is far more natural. But for some reason, you only get either one side, mono input. Would have been nice to have stereo. The noise cancelling is quite good, something which was very artificial-sounding on the ZUZGs.

There is actually a nice QCY app and a 12 month warranty. Both lacking with the ZUZGs. So you can be sure your purchase is backed by a solid company, not yet another faceless Chinese OEM.

As I finish this review, Joan Baez’s guitar and songbird vocals are playing thru the T20s. I can feel the crackle of the vinyl I recorded digitally thru Garageband. Yea, these certainly have their moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment